Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dinner #5: Quinoa Falafel

I found a new favorite blog this week, SPROUTED KITCHEN. I love the photos and I love originality of recipes. Basically, I love the whole idea behind the blog. This is the first recipe I've made from the site and I'm sure that I will be making many more.




Disclaimer: This is not traditional falafel. It's a lighter take on the traditional street food from the Middle East. Also I realize that Tzatziki sauce is not a traditional topping for falafel. I just thought it would taste good and...it did! I served the falafel topped with Tzatziki sauce on a bed of fattoush (chopped herb and vegetable salad with lemon and olive oil).


Fatoush Salad



Quinoa Falafel
Adapted from SPROUTED KITCHEN
Yield: 8 patties
Difficulty: Medium


1/2 c quinoa
1 c carrots, sliced
3 Tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
1/2 c green onions, cut to 1 inch pieces
15 oz can organic garbanzo beans (chick peas)
2 organic eggs
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 cloves garlic
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Handful of panko bread crumbs, if too wet
2 Tbsp olive oil


Cook quinoa according to package directions.


Pulse carrots and parsley together in a food processor. Add the next 8 ingredients (through garlic). Pulse until combined. Add quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until combined. Note: If the mixture seems too wet, add a handful of panko bread crumbs and mix.


Add 1 Tbsp of oil to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Divide falafel mixture into 8 portions. Shape each portion into a ball and flatten slightly. Cook patties in batches, adding more oil as needed. Cook falafel until nicely browned.


Remove from heat and top with sauce of your choice.





No comments:

Post a Comment